Belgrave belts winner as brace leaves S&L in spin
UCL Premier Division Stewart & Lloyds 2 St Neots Town 4 A DOUBLE strike in the final six minutes from Barrington Belgrave gave managerless St Neots a much-needed win at Corby. Town moved up to third place in the table with the win in their first match sin
UCL Premier Division
Stewart & Lloyds 2 St Neots Town 4
A DOUBLE strike in the final six minutes from Barrington Belgrave gave managerless St Neots a much-needed win at Corby.
Town moved up to third place in the table with the win in their first match since Scott Houghton resigned for personal reasons.
You may also want to watch:
Caretakers Ian Parr and Ivan Finch saw their side get off to an awful start as the hosts swamped the Town goal.
Paul Doherty and Dom Johnson missed good chances for S&L, while Saints goalkeeper Martyn Patching was also forced into action.
- 1 New griddle restaurant opens in St Neots
- 2 Man from Alconbury sentenced for sexual assault
- 3 Woman who died in fatal crash in Eaton Ford has been named
- 4 New emergency facilities open at Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 5 Do you remember the old cinemas in Huntingdonshire?
- 6 Concerns raised about increase in lorries if plan goes ahead
- 7 Godmanchester Mill River Enhancement project starts in May
- 8 Domestic abuse survivor speaks out on 'reign of terror'
- 9 New Shoe Zone 'concept store' opens
- 10 Barley Mow pub in Hartford to open on Friday
The home side rattled the woodwork but did take the lead in the 26th minute when Doherty headed in a cross from Johnson.
Mark Franklin should have levelled for St Neots when played in by Ryan Francis but delayed his shot too long.
Saints had a lucky escape on 39 minutes when Sean Brennan smashed a penalty against the post after a tug by Tony Russell.
The visitors made the home side pay just before the break when Francis charged down an attempted clearance and Franklin converted.
St Neots used the slope to their advantage after the break and Arin Fehmi showed good skill to put in a shot that Finch followed in to net his second goal of the season.
The lead lasted just three minutes when S&L were awarded another penalty after a foul by Jon Hoggett and Mark Forbes drove home from the spot.
With time running out and a draw looking likely it was Belgrave who proved the match winner, latching onto a flick from Finch to drive home on 84 minutes.
Just two minutes later it was all over when Belgrave scored a near-identical second after a ball from Hoggett.
* Saints were due to travel to Kempston Rovers as The Hunts Post went to press, welcome Bourne Town on Saturday and Thrapston Town on Tuesday in the Hinchingbrooke Cup.