Battling Rangers just miss out on trophy
ST IVES Rangers Disability FC distinguished themselves at the regional under-18 football tournament for children with moderate learning difficulties at St Ivo Outdoor Centre. The tournament saw hosts St Ives take on teams from Peterborough, Cambridge, and
ST IVES Rangers Disability FC distinguished themselves at the regional under-18 football tournament for children with moderate learning difficulties at St Ivo Outdoor Centre.
The tournament saw hosts St Ives take on teams from Peterborough, Cambridge, and Hertfordshire, in an exciting event.
Organised by Huntingdonshire District Council, in partnership with Hunts FA, it proved to be a two-horse race between the hosts and Harvesters FC, from Hertfordshire.
With both teams winning seven out of eight matches, and beating each other along the way, the result went down to goal difference.
You may also want to watch:
With one match remaining, Harvesters FC needed to win 5-0 to claim the trophy, and got the result they needed right on the final whistle.
Despite losing out so dramatically, St Ives showed their class throughout the tournament.
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 4 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 5 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 6 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 7 'Trolley waits' hit high for trust that oversees Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 8 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 9 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
- 10 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
Europrint UK, the embroidery and printing specialists based in St Ives, presented tracksuits to all the players before the event.
Team secretary, Ryan Armes, said: "The standard of play at the tournament showed how much the teams have developed since the inaugural event last year. "
St Ives Rangers are currently looking for new players, and also have an adult team.
Anyone wanting to get involved should contact Ryan Armes, community sports and recreation officer for Huntingdonshire District Council, on 01480 387098