Back in the USA, soccer star Jade Bell is ready to put her horrific injury behind her
- Credit: Archant
After a year out of the game because of a sickening injury, Ramsey soccer star Jade Bell is back in America playing the game she loves.
A student at A&M University in Texas, the 20-year-old football scholar flew back to the USA on Friday after spending the Christmas holidays with her family, and now she is ready push on and break into the professional game.
“I suffered the injury in September 2012 in practice,” the former Hunts Post Sports Awards Oustanding Achievement winner said. “I dislocated my left ankle and broke both my fibula and tibia. It meant surgery was needed and two plates and 14 screws were inserted into my left leg.”
But Bell, who is studying for a degree in commerce, worked hard in rehab and made her return for her team in August. She has since scored five goals in 19 games.
She said: “After my degree, I plan to get my masters here and then if a job opportunity comes up here once I am done with school, it is likely that I will look to stay here in America. There are professional leagues here and in other European countries too so if I get a chance to play, I will take it.
You may also want to watch:
“If playing doesn’t work out, then maybe I will look at coaching.”
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 4 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 5 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 6 Gym members raise funds for children with cancer
- 7 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 8 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 9 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k