ATHLETICS: Super silver for Spencer in his first indoor pentathlon and other Hunts AC youngsters also excel
- Credit: Archant
Club records tumbled as Hunts AC youngsters starred at the Lee Valley Under 13 and Under 15 Open Pentathlon.
Spencer Taylor enjoyed a fine first indoor outing in the event as he claimed the silver medal in the older age group. His haul of 2,331 also catapulted him up to seventh in the Under 15 Boys national rankings.
Taylor set new personal bests in every discipline - 60m hurdles (9.58), long jump (5.42m), high jump (1.61m), shot putt (8.00m) and 800m (2.23.44) – during a fine display.
His high jump clearance was a new club record, bettering the previous 1.56m mark that belonged to Joe Purbrick.
Clubmate Ayo Opaleye also bettered that figure with a 1.58m clearance at Lee Valley before Taylor went three centimetres higher.
You may also want to watch:
Opaleye finished sixth overall with a total score of 1,811 as he also set new bests in every event. They were 10.28 (60m hurdles), 5.21m (long jump), 1.58m (high jump), 8.55m (shot putt) and 3.01.41 (800m).
Hunts AC talents Tamzin Digpal-Race and Willow Bedding were involved in a terrific battle at Under 13 Girls level.
- 1 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 2 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 3 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 4 Elsie May's Electric Lounge to raise £15,000 for bakery school
- 5 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 6 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 7 Visiting restrictions at Hinchingbrooke Hospital partially lifted
- 8 Parents 'can never forgive' actions for Maddie's murder
- 9 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
- 10 Manager of BID Huntingdon is retiring after 11 years of service
Digpal-Race finished ahead of her clubmate in the first four disciplines, but Bedding emerged ahead overall after a fine run in the closing 800m.
Bedding finished in 10th position with a total of 1,658 points. Digpal-Race ended up just one place and 28 points behind.
Moira Howard competed in the same age group and finished 26th with a tally of 1,572 points, setting three personal bests along the way and running the 800m for the first time.
All three girls comprehensively beat the previous Hunts AC record of 1304 points with Bedding now holding the new mark.
Lizzy Harrison broke her own Under 15 Girls and Under 17 Women club records for the 200m with a 28.12 performance at Lee Valley.