Athletics: Juniors star as a golden shot puts Nick into his club records
Athletics Round-up Eastern Counties AA Indoor Championships FOUR Club Juniors attended the Eastern Counties Indoor Championships in King s Lynn and, despite the conditions, returned with a number of titles, medals and club records. U15 Nick Fennelly too
Eastern Counties AA Indoor Championships
FOUR Club Juniors attended the Eastern Counties Indoor Championships in King's Lynn and, despite the conditions, returned with a number of titles, medals and club records.
U15 Nick Fennelly took gold in the shot putt and set a club record for his age group with distance of 8.71m.
You may also want to watch:
His 4.37m in the long jump was enough to give him silver, as was his 1.20m high jump.
U15 girls Daniella McGrory and Kayliegh Borkett both ran personal bests in the 60m heats, only for a re-run to deny Kayleigh a place in the final.
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 St Neots schoolgirl takes on bike ride for Children in Need
- 7 Former Stevenage midfielder is the new manager of Eynesbury Rovers
- 8 Axe-wielding burglar smashed way into St Neots house
- 9 Appeal for foster parents to come forward
- 10 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
Daniella, who set a club age group record in the heats, came fourth overall despite the first four finishers all posting the same time of 8.5 seconds.
In the 60m hurdles Daniella produced a personal best and set a club age group record to take the gold medal in a time of 9.8 seconds.
CHRISTIAN Roberts (pictured), 15, came away with a gold medal in the U17 60m hurdles, beating both the Lincolnshire and Suffolk champions in a photo finish. His time was nine seconds.
In the 60m sprint Christian qualified as a fastest loser before coming sixth in the final with a time of 7.7 seconds.
Norwich Union Inter County Sportshall Championship
A NUMBER of Club Juniors represented Cambridgeshire and came away with medals at the annual event held at the University of East Anglia in Norwich.
In the U15 boys, Paul Hayball won gold in the shot putt, bronze in the standing long jump and bronze in the two lap. Paul was a runner up overall in the points competition.
In the same age group, Christian Roberts won silver in the four lap and gold in the eight lap parluuf relay along with Richard Stenton, whilst Cambridge won bronze in the eight-lap relay.
In the U13 boys, Nick Fennelly won bronze in the four lap, Christopher Smith silver in the vertical jump and Johnathan Edwards silver in the shot putt.
In the U15 girls, Daniella McGrory came away with a silver in the four lap and Ellie Rhodes won a silver in the shot putt. Cambridge won bronze in the eight lap relay.