Athletics: Juniors star as a golden shot puts Nick into his club records
Athletics Round-up Eastern Counties AA Indoor Championships FOUR Club Juniors attended the Eastern Counties Indoor Championships in King s Lynn and, despite the conditions, returned with a number of titles, medals and club records. U15 Nick Fennelly too
Eastern Counties AA Indoor Championships
FOUR Club Juniors attended the Eastern Counties Indoor Championships in King's Lynn and, despite the conditions, returned with a number of titles, medals and club records.
U15 Nick Fennelly took gold in the shot putt and set a club record for his age group with distance of 8.71m.
His 4.37m in the long jump was enough to give him silver, as was his 1.20m high jump.
U15 girls Daniella McGrory and Kayliegh Borkett both ran personal bests in the 60m heats, only for a re-run to deny Kayleigh a place in the final.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Pictures show dramatic skies over Huntingdonshire and the Fens
- 3 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 4 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 5 Huntingdon thief jailed after stealing watch, iPod and iPhone from vehicles
- 6 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 7 Silent protest at Camp Beagle as vans leave the site
- 8 East West Rail host public event to discuss controversial project
- 9 White roses and political history in Huntingdonshire
- 10 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
Daniella, who set a club age group record in the heats, came fourth overall despite the first four finishers all posting the same time of 8.5 seconds.
In the 60m hurdles Daniella produced a personal best and set a club age group record to take the gold medal in a time of 9.8 seconds.
CHRISTIAN Roberts (pictured), 15, came away with a gold medal in the U17 60m hurdles, beating both the Lincolnshire and Suffolk champions in a photo finish. His time was nine seconds.
In the 60m sprint Christian qualified as a fastest loser before coming sixth in the final with a time of 7.7 seconds.
Norwich Union Inter County Sportshall Championship
A NUMBER of Club Juniors represented Cambridgeshire and came away with medals at the annual event held at the University of East Anglia in Norwich.
In the U15 boys, Paul Hayball won gold in the shot putt, bronze in the standing long jump and bronze in the two lap. Paul was a runner up overall in the points competition.
In the same age group, Christian Roberts won silver in the four lap and gold in the eight lap parluuf relay along with Richard Stenton, whilst Cambridge won bronze in the eight-lap relay.
In the U13 boys, Nick Fennelly won bronze in the four lap, Christopher Smith silver in the vertical jump and Johnathan Edwards silver in the shot putt.
In the U15 girls, Daniella McGrory came away with a silver in the four lap and Ellie Rhodes won a silver in the shot putt. Cambridge won bronze in the eight lap relay.