ATHLETICS: Hunts AC duo impress at major cross-country event while trio post new records indoors
- Credit: Archant
Two Hunts AC talents produced impressive performances at the South of England Cross-Country Championships.
Issy Wilkins finished in a creditable 16th position in the Under 15 Girls race over a 4km course at Stanmer Park in Brighton. She clocked a time of 14.53.
Clubmate Joey Croft was 20th in the Under 20 Men’s event as he completed the 8km even in 28.51.
Coach Derek Darnell said: “I can’t remember Hunts AC ever having two athletes finishing this high in this event in the same year before. I’m very proud of Issy and Joey.”
On the track, Joe Purbrick set a new Hunts AC club record for the seventh time this year when shining at the Keith Ward Indoor Meet in King’s Lynn.
You may also want to watch:
He extended the Under 15 Boys’ long jump mark, which had stood for 13 years, by 28cm to 5.29m when finished second.
Apo Opaleye flew out to 11.62m to set a new club best in the Under 15 Boys triple jump, while Toby Carroll enjoyed a fine indoor debut as he set a new Under 13 Boys shot putt standard with a 5.01m effort.
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 6 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 7 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 8 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 9 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 10 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
Another Hunts AC prospect, Spencer Taylor, finished second behind Opaleye on the day with a 10.50m leap in his first-ever triple jump event.