ATHLETICS: Hunts AC duo impress at major cross-country event while trio post new records indoors
- Credit: Archant
Two Hunts AC talents produced impressive performances at the South of England Cross-Country Championships.
Issy Wilkins finished in a creditable 16th position in the Under 15 Girls race over a 4km course at Stanmer Park in Brighton. She clocked a time of 14.53.
Clubmate Joey Croft was 20th in the Under 20 Men’s event as he completed the 8km even in 28.51.
Coach Derek Darnell said: “I can’t remember Hunts AC ever having two athletes finishing this high in this event in the same year before. I’m very proud of Issy and Joey.”
On the track, Joe Purbrick set a new Hunts AC club record for the seventh time this year when shining at the Keith Ward Indoor Meet in King’s Lynn.
He extended the Under 15 Boys’ long jump mark, which had stood for 13 years, by 28cm to 5.29m when finished second.
Apo Opaleye flew out to 11.62m to set a new club best in the Under 15 Boys triple jump, while Toby Carroll enjoyed a fine indoor debut as he set a new Under 13 Boys shot putt standard with a 5.01m effort.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 Judge makes contempt of court ruling against Camp Beagle protesters
- 3 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 4 7 places where you can tuck into a carvery in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Plans for new Pightle land in Eaton Socon after generous donation
- 6 Fresh wave of Camp Beagle protests as vans arrive at Wyton complex
- 7 REVEALED: The 'gang of five' who want Dr Nik Johnson gone
- 8 Met Office forecast for Cambridgeshire after weekend of mixed weather
- 9 New mayor of Huntingdon unveiled at annual town council meeting
- 10 Buckden children raise a whopping £1,313.60 at cake sale
Another Hunts AC prospect, Spencer Taylor, finished second behind Opaleye on the day with a 10.50m leap in his first-ever triple jump event.