ATHLETICS: Huntingdon BRJ man Hudson shines in the Great North Run; Riverside Runners aces Taylor and Evans star at Swineshead
- Credit: Archant
More than 57,000 runners took part in the Great North Run last Sunday – and one local athlete was among the first 50 finishers in the famous race.
David Hudson, of Huntingdon BRJ, produced an impressive performance when competing in the elite bracket of the race between Newcastle and South Shields.
He completed the 13.1-mile course in 1:13.03 to cross the finish line in 48th place overall. His effort also earned fifth spot in the M35-39 age group.
A number of other BRJ runners - Mark Elliot (1:32.13), Simon Moore (1:32.13), Harrison Evans (1:36.39), Eugene Gill (1:54.13), Kathryn Middlehurst (1:56.27), Liz Robertson (2:04.59), Karen Connolly (2:21.39), Jacqueline Moore (2:21.40) and Donna Kirby (2:21.40)- also took part.
BRJ were also represented in the Great North Run junior races.
You may also want to watch:
Ellie Loosley took a fine fourth place out of 460 girls in the 11-12 age category. Her brother, James, and sister, Chloe, also ran well to finish seventh and 23rd respectively in their sections.
Daniel Moore (71st in 13-14) and Isobelle Moore (107th in 9-10) also competed.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 3 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 4 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 5 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 6 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 7 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 8 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 9 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
One member of Hunts AC completed the Great North Run. Carl Rooney produced a smart time of 1:24.32 to finish 342nd.
St Neots club Riverside Runners had four members in action in the North-East - Lee Radley (1:43.52), Anthony Charters (1:49.36, personal best), Gary Durrant (1:51.57) and Karen French (2:04.54).
A shorter trip to Lincolnshire was the order of the day for many other Riverside members for five-mile and 10-mile races at Swineshead.
The club provided the winner of both races with Michael Taylor (56:07) triumphing over 10 miles and a personal best of 29:05 being enough to earn five-mile glory for Gary Evans.
Riverside used the races for their club championship.
Swineshead 10 results: 1 Michael Taylor 56.07, 8 Neil Shorten 60.46, 36 Kyle Chesterman 1:08.11, 48 Maurice Hemmingway 1:11.35, 57 Michael Ball 1:13.43, 66 Steve Hughes 1:14.01, 99 Sam Barnes 1:21.41, 144 Barbara Reading 1:33.25, 172 Helen Munday 1:49.12.
Swineshead 5 results: 1 Gary Evans 29.05 (PB), 2 Freddie Minney 29.13 (PB), 7 Gareth Thomas 33.08, 8 Chris Hull 33.10 (PB), 10 Alison Cooper 36.41, 12 Emma Evans 38.43, 20 Natasha Johnson 41.56, 21 Vince Hainsby 42.05, 27 Sharon Evans 44.27, 35 Norma Leckie 48.00, 40 Mick Reading 48.41, 54 Zoe Jackson 52.14, 67 Bob Thompson 57.00, 73 Tara Berry 1:02.08.