ATHLETICS: Family affair for Hunts AC at the New Year’s Day Open in London
- Credit: Archant
Two sets of Hunts AC relations kick-started 2017 by starring in the same meeting in London.
Father Yinka and son Ayo Opaleye both impressed over 200m in the New Year’s Day Open at Lee Valley.
Yinka won his heat in a time of 27.47 – more than half-a-second quicker than his best outdoor time last summer – while Ayo clocked 29.8 seconds in his race. The Under 15 athlete also recorded a time of 8.61 seconds in the 60m.
Seb Darnell (Under 17 Men) triumphed over 800m with a time of 2:28.25 which took close to two seconds off his previous indoor best set a year earlier to the day.
His sister, Amelia, who races in the Under 20 Women age group, took part in the same race and her 2:39.83 effort was an indoor best by a shade over three seconds.
Matthew Bell produced an effort of 5.12m in the Under 15 shot putt.
Another 18 members of Hunts AC had seen out 2016 by competing in the Ely New Year’s Eve 10k.
- 1 Horse rider injured in crash on Ramsey Road in Warboys
- 2 Staff threatened with sledgehammer in armed robbery at St Neots jewellers
- 3 Fire Crews called to a blaze that started in a flat in St Ives
- 4 St Ives man undergoes pioneering heart treatment
- 5 Drug dealers operating the ‘Marlo’ and ‘Star’ lines have been jailed
- 6 Hundreds gather to see Santa on The Quay in St Ives
- 7 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 8 Mother pays tribute to “much-loved” son who died near Fen Drayton
- 9 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 10 Thousands more homes set for Alconbury Weald
Tyler Farrer finished fourth overall out of 605 runners and finished as first veteran for the 41st time in 61 races during the year. His team of 35:31.5 was also a personal best for the distance.
Other age group successes were provided by Shane Hunt (M55) and Karen Cameron (W50) while Steve Church and Diane Bunch were runners-up in the M45 and W60 categories respectively. Pauline Stocker (W55) completed the haul of medals.
Hunts AC runners: 4 Ty Farrer 35:31.5, 27 Steve Church 39:00.0, 41 Shane Hunt 39:52.7, 76 Mark Wishart 42:08.4, 77 Georgia Hine 42:12.2, 133 Karen Cameron 45:08.5, 136 Kelly Crawford 45:30.9, 192 Carol Hargreaves 47:41.6, 228 Claire Webster 49:33.2, 231 Amy Steels 49:46.4, 242 Pauline Stocker 50:21.3, 301 Diane Bunch 52:53.9, 302 Gary Asquite 52:52.3, 318 Amanda Roland 53:22.8, 320 Lizzie Burgess 53:27.2, 321 Joe Convey 53:25.5, 486 James Haycock 61:08.0, 512 Peter Whitehead 63:08.9.