ATHLETICS: England excellence from the Masters of Hunts AC and Huntingdon BRJ Run & Tri
- Credit: Archant
Two local runners were on international duty last Sunday.
Huntingdon BRJ Run & Tri ace David Hudson and Hunts AC man Ty Farrer were both part of the England Masters team to take on the Celtic Nations in a challenge clash incorporated into the Chester Marathon.
And they were the fastest two members of the successful England side. Hudson was their first finisher in a fine time of two hours, 33 minutes, while Farrer recorded an impressive two hours, 39 minutes.
Hudson was 10th overall out of almost 2,650 finishers, while Farrer took 21st place as he slashed more than a minute off his personal best.
Both clubs, and the St Neots-based Riverside Runners, were well represented in the big Great Eastern Run in Peterborough last Sunday.
Sam Williams (74th) and Neil Shorten (78th) of Riverside were the leading locals on show, with Hunts AC man Tom Walker not far behind in 88th.
Harrison Evans, who took 224th spot, was the first BRJ runner to complete the course.
- 1 Rocks thrown at St Neots school building in vandal attack
- 2 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 3 All aboard! St Neots father and son to tackle London underground for charity
- 4 Improved Ofsted rating for village primary school
- 5 Social club can extend opening hours as 'no evidence' of problems
- 6 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 7 Police called to reports of violence in Huntingdon
- 8 Godmanchester tearoom supporting adults with learning disabilities celebrates
- 9 Cyclist left with serious injuries after bus collision in St Ives
- 10 First breast-feeding friendly venue announced for St Neots
GREAT EASTERN RUN
Hunts AC results: 88 Tom Walker 1:19.36, 180 Sean Barker 1:25.41, 206 Darren Matthews 1:26.59, 222 Rod McKee 1:27.29, 424 Roger Holliday 1:34.16, 737 Caroline King 1:41.13, 845 Daniel Rigby 1:43.12, 1226 John Smith 1:53.22, 1248 Christina Cowles 1:52.39, 1356 Adrian Smith 1:52.53, 1736 Lizzie Burgess 1:56.06, 1842 Diane Bunch 2:02.15, 3277 James Haycock 2:20.42, 3600 Pete Whitehead 2:30.56, 3823 Julia Tebbs 2:39.22.
Riverside Runners results: 74 Sam Williams 1:18.43, 78 Neil Shorten 1:18.59 (PB), 131 James Shiner 1:22.37 (PB), 199 Piers Serjeant 1:26.36 (PB), 373 Kevin Steel 1:32.42, 379 Chris Hull 1:32.57 (PB), 440 Maurice Hemingway 1:34.44, 492 Gavin Osborne 1:36.10, 547 Ben Goddard 1:37.19, 734 Gary Barnes 1:42.09, 736 Alison Cooper 1:42.09, 851 Adam Harris 1:44.21, 890 Pags Claudianos 1:46.17, 1208 Emma Evans 1:49.29 (PB), 1590 Jo Carrington 1:54.35 (PB), 1592 Niki Serjeant 1:55.20 (PB), 1664 Ellen Lovatt 1:55.48, 1677 Peter Dowling 1:56.24 (PB), 1730 Gary Durrant 1:57.01, 1833 Darren Woodward 1:58.41, 1864 Karen Childerley 1:59.26, 2034 Chris Bentley 2:00.05, 2298 Amie Gough 2:01.29, 2312 Emma Rigby 2:05.02, 2313 Anthony Charters 2:05.02, 2454 Barbara Readings 2:07.21, 2554 Liz Hiner 2:07.31, 2654 Karen French 2:09.10, 3765 Pam Hemingway 2:37.06.
* Two BRJ youngsters finished in the top 10 of the Great Eastern Run fun run out of almost 1300 finishers – Keelan Duffy in fourth and James Orrell in seventh.
* Two Riverside Runners members took part in the Chicago Marathon.
One of them, Rodrigo Santos, who finished in 2:51.25, tackled the race while on his honeymoon. Clubmate Michael Ball finished in 3:25.05.
* Dave Connell surprised even himself when winning the title at the recent Hunts AC 10,000m Championship.
Connell clocked a fine 34.20.2 to triumph despite an injury-hit month of training ahead of the event.
Farrer took second spot in 34.38.7 with Walker finishing third in 34.47.0 – both of those men clocking new personal bests for the distance in the process. Caroline King was the leading lady on show in 47.19.3
* It’s a big a year for Hunts AC. The club is half-a-century old and plans to celebrate the milestone with a dinner and dance next month.
The event is at Slepe Hall, in St Ives, on Saturday, November 11 and club officials want as many past members to attend as possible.
Anyone interested in doing that should contact vice chairman Wayne DuBose by email at email@example.com by this Friday (October 13).