Archer strikes a last-gasp leveller
JUNIOR footballers from Buckden and Sawtry U7s ended 2007 in style with an exciting 3-3 draw. Buckden opened the scoring after good interplay and then doubled their advantage shortly afterwards. However, Sawtry battled hard and Sam Lomas scored his 11th g
JUNIOR footballers from Buckden and Sawtry U7s ended 2007 in style with an exciting 3-3 draw.
Buckden opened the scoring after good interplay and then doubled their advantage shortly afterwards.
However, Sawtry battled hard and Sam Lomas scored his 11th goal of the season to bring the visitors back into it.
Buckden looked to have secured the win when they moved into a 3-1 lead but Sawtry refused to give up and two goals from star performer Sam Archer levelled the scores - the equaliser coming with almost the last kick of the game.
You may also want to watch:
St Ives Rangers U9L enjoyed a seven-goal thriller against Warboys, coming out on top by the odd goal.
Warboys went ahead straight from the kick-off which clearly unsettled Rangers and it was a few minutes before they managed to settle down and play.
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Former Stevenage midfielder is the new manager of Eynesbury Rovers
- 7 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 8 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 9 Man dies after single-car crash near Godmanchester
- 10 St Neots schoolgirl takes on bike ride for Children in Need
St Ives equalised before too long with a goal from Max Oliver and Jack Jefferson then made it 2-1 with a great strike which left the goalkeeper with no chance before Oliver popped in his second and Rangers third.
It should have been comfortable from then on, but with two more chances hitting the woodwork denying them from extending their lead followed by a couple of mistakes in the middle of the pitch it was all level at 3-3 and Warboys were back in the game. Rangers had it all to do again and went close with Billy Hopkin putting the ball just the wrong side of the post before Ben McNichol popped up with the winner.
Man of the match for Rangers was Billy Hopkin for his non-stop running and awareness off the ball despite not feeling 100 per cent.
Ramsey U7s bowed out of 2007 with a 3-1 win against Huntingdon Rowdies thanks to two goals from Tony Wagstaff and another from Charlie Jenkins.
Marcell Cherlin hit the consolation for the Rams U9B as they went down to a strong KC Cougars in a 7-1 defeat.
# Ramsey U13A is looking for players to strengthen the current squad. They currently play in the Cambs Colts League - contact the club secretary on 01487 814794.