An historic day for the swimmers of First Strokes Godmanchester says coach John Burling
- Credit: Archant
Saturday, March 22, is a date that three swimmers from the First Strokes Godmanchester club will remember for a long time.
Madeline Todd, Yasmine Clitheroe and James Quinn were all crowned Cambridgeshire County Champions in Peterborough to highlight the growth of the club in recent years.
Coach at the club, John Burling, told The Hunts Post: “It is a date that the swimmers will remember for a long time as it was possibly one of the best days so far in the short history of First Strokes Godmanchester.
“The club was proud to have three swimmers becoming county champions.”
Todd won the gold medal in the nine-year-olds’ 50m breaststroke, while Clitheroe won the 10-year-old 100m Backstroke final by more than four seconds. Quinn won the 10-year-old 50m Breaststroke final despite trailing at half way by a second. Clitheroe was also the county champion in 2013 so become the first swimmer from the club to be a county champion in successive years.
There were more superb achievements with Alec Bird winning his first county medal while with First Strokes, a bronze in the 13-year-old 50m Breaststroke, and Gracie Freeman-Lewis reaching her first ever final in the 10-year-old 50m Backstroke.
Clitheroe also won a silver in the 50m Backstroke and bronze medals in the 100m individual medley and the 400m freestyle. Quinn won a silver in the 100m individual medley and a bronze in the 50m freestyle.
- 1 New Toolstation branch to open in Huntingdon
- 2 Bosses warn of 'choppy waters' ahead for health trust
- 3 RSPCA investigating 'welfare of beagles' at Huntingdon dog breeding unit
- 4 Pupils enjoy early jubilee celebration with all things royal
- 5 Nursery rated inadequate after inspectors said safety was 'compromised'
- 6 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 7 New organic coffee shop opens in St Neots
- 8 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 9 Woman who could barely walk is taking part in cycling event after shedding 19 stones
- 10 Find out what's happening in Huntingdonshire for the Queen's Jubilee?
“It was a remarkable day and it showed again how far the club has come in such a short space of time,” said Burling, who was named coach of the year at the 2013 Hunts Post Sports Awards.