An eight-goal lesson for Saints
FA Cup First Qualifying Round Boreham Wood 8 St Ives Town 2 THE gulf in class told at Meadow Park as Saints were dumped out of the FA Cup by Southern League side Boreham Wood. Town were four goals down inside 20 minutes as they struggled to cope with some
FA Cup First Qualifying Round
Boreham Wood 8 St Ives Town 2
THE gulf in class told at Meadow Park as Saints were dumped out of the FA Cup by Southern League side Boreham Wood.
Town were four goals down inside 20 minutes as they struggled to cope with some slick pass and move football from their hosts but Saints joint-manager Jez Hall was full of praise for his team's efforts.
You may also want to watch:
He said: "It'll be a few years before we come up against players of that standard again.
"It was a fantastic day. We've brought nearly 100 supporters with us and it's the furthest we've ever progressed in the FA Cup.
- 1 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 2 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 3 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 4 Elsie May's Electric Lounge to raise £15,000 for bakery school
- 5 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 6 Visiting restrictions at Hinchingbrooke Hospital partially lifted
- 7 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 8 Cambridgeshire MP pays tribute to 'very, very good friend' Sir David Amess
- 9 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 10 'Plague' of flies in Huntingdonshire villages
"We scored the best two goals of the 10 so we can take some comfort in that, at least!"
Goals for Wood came at regular intervals with a Leon Archer hat-trick, two from Darrell Cox and strikes from Tommy Williams, Luke Gregson and Elvis Balic consigning Town to defeat.
Anton D'Avilar's stunning 25-yard volley and Will Fordham's 30-yard lob giving the visiting fans something to cheer about.
Saints took on Blackstones in the first round of the League Cup last night and travel to Kirkley in the FA Vase on Saturday. Buckingham Town visit for a league fixture on Tuesday evening.
UCL Premier Division
St Ives Town 4 Newport Pagnell 1
SAINTS warmed up for their FA Cup tie at Boreham Wood with an excellent win over Newport Pagnell, despite falling behind to a Mike Riley strike on 20 minutes.
Graeme Thackray (2), Steffan Lewis and Dom Carminati bagged the goals for Saints.