NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Dan is the man as St Neots Town enjoy away success
- Credit: Archant
St Neots Town produced an impressive away display to maintain their slim hopes of Southern League Premier Division Central survival yesterday.
A double-strike from recent signing Dan Trendall earned a 2-0 victory at Hitchin Town.
Trendall opened his Saints account eight minutes before half-time at Top Field and then struck again six minutes into the second period.
He broke the deadlock when pouncing after a Joe Sutton shot was spilled before being unselfishly picked out by fellow recent recruit Ben Bradley to double the lead.
The victory came complete with a clean sheet for rookie goalkeeper Michael McCormack, who was handed a first-team debut with regular number one James Philp unavailable.
Teenager McCormack, who has made a handful of appearances for the club’s reserve side, made smart saves in both halves.
Saints are now five points from safety with four games to go.
- 1 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 2 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 3 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 4 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 5 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 6 Huntingdon thief jailed after stealing watch, iPod and iPhone from vehicles
- 7 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 8 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 9 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 10 Silent protest at Camp Beagle as vans leave the site
St Ives Town were involved in a goalless draw against AFC Rushden & Diamonds at that level.
It was a game of few chances at Westwood Road with Munashe Sundire coming closest to a breakthrough for the hosts as he saw a 20-yard shot well saved midway through the second half.
Ricky Marheineke’s side remain 13th.
Godmanchester Rovers returned to winning ways as they chase a runners-up finish in the Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division.
Buster Harradine and Simon Unwin hit the goals in a 2-1 triumph at rock-bottom Framlingham Town for Ollie Drake’s men.
Eynesbury Rovers were smooth winners in the United Counties League Premier Division.
Goals from Jordan Brown and Steve Gentle earned a 2-0 victory against Sleaford Town at Hall Road.
Gentle also saw another effort ruled out for offside before hitting a late clincher after Brown’s 20th-minute breakthrough.
Huntingdon Town’s plight in United Counties League Division One worsened dramtically yesterday.
Jimmy Brattan’s men are now four points from safety after suffering a 5-0 home defeat at the hands of title-chasers Anstey Nomads on a day when fellow strugglers Raunds Town enjoyed a fine away at Lutterworth Athletic.