Alex, 13, is sailing towards a dream
A THIRTEEN-year-old from Somersham has been called up to represent Great Britain as he aims to realise his dream of sailing at the Olympics. Alex Alcock, a member of Hunts Sailing Club and student at Abbey College in Ramsey, is one of just 25 sailors acro
A THIRTEEN-year-old from Somersham has been called up to represent Great Britain as he aims to realise his dream of sailing at the Olympics.
Alex Alcock, a member of Hunts Sailing Club and student at Abbey College in Ramsey, is one of just 25 sailors across the country selected to join the Royal Yachting Association GB squad for the 2007/08 season.
The ecstatic teenager said: "I am delighted because this has been my goal since being selected for the RYA Regional Squad last year."
The RYA National Junior Programme aims to feed talented sailors into the Youth and Olympic Programmes at the appropriate age and ability to enable them to succeed at World and European Championships in subsequent years.
Alex, who sails in the Topper Class, worked hard all last winter, attending training weekends around the country to improve his skills. This summer he has competed in weekend and week-long national events in Mumbles, North Berwick, Sunderland and Bristol.
He has competed locally too, finishing first at the North Herts and East Beds Sailing Club Area Traveller Competition.
- 1 7 places where you can tuck into a carvery in Cambridgeshire
- 2 New mayor of Huntingdon unveiled at annual town council meeting
- 3 Fresh wave of Camp Beagle protests as vans arrive at Wyton complex
- 4 Suspected sleeping driver with child on board stopped on A1(M)
- 5 REVEALED: The 'gang of five' who want Dr Nik Johnson gone
- 6 Passengers 'thrown from seats' when train sped through Peterborough
- 7 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 8 Exclusive look at photograph taken at RAF Warboys from IWM's new The Royal Family in Wartime book
- 9 Platinum Jubilee: 100-person laser tag tournament in woods near Huntingdon
- 10 Meet the volunteers making a difference for Ukrainians in Huntingdonshire
His winter programme now consists of seven residential weekends, including one at the Weymouth & Portland National sailing Academy, the venue for the sailing events in the London 2012 Olympic Games.
Here, he will enjoy the support of the National Class Coach and a team of fitness, nutrition and psychology experts who will help to prepare him for a summer of national and international competition in 2008.
Alex isn't the only family member with a nautical interest; he has two younger sisters who are hoping to follow in his footsteps. Sarah, aged 11, is a keen windsurfer, while eight-year-old Becky has just started learning to sail Toppers like her brother.
Alex said: "My hero is Ben Ainslie, the Olympic gold medalist, and my long-term ambition is to represent Great Britain in international competition - maybe the Olympic Games one day!"
INFORMATION: Alex is seeking sponsorship from local firms who might wish to support teenage talent and ambition. Anyone interested can contact The Hunts Post sports desk on 01480 411481.