Abbots Ripton secure promotion for the third season on the trot
ABBOTS Ripton won Division Three A of the Cambs Cricket Junior League on Saturday, the club’s third successive promotion in three years after taking a maximum number of points so far this season.
Abbots beat Willingham, who they restricted to 134, reaching that target for the loss of just five wickets, with opener Craig Marsh hitting a neat 40 and Lee Smith not out on 54. Smith, Daniel Coles and Mohammed Miah took two wickets each, Scott Walton the other.
Team captain Phil Wanstall told The Hunts Post: “I can’t heap enough praise on this group of players. This championship is thoroughly deserved.
“We have the perfect blend of youth and experience. Throw in the talent and steely determination the players possess and next season cannot come quickly enough.
“In what has been a disjointed season because of the weather, they have kept their focus throughout and every one of them should be rightly proud.”
You may also want to watch:
The club’s press officer, Walton, summed up the achievement when he said: “We are the only side in Hunts unbeaten all season and when was last time a side had three promotions in three seasons?”
With two games left, Abbots Ripton are now aiming for the perfect league campaign.
- 1 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 2 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 3 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 4 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 5 Elsie May's Electric Lounge to raise £15,000 for bakery school
- 6 Visiting restrictions at Hinchingbrooke Hospital partially lifted
- 7 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 8 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 9 Aggressive and controlling partner jailed
- 10 Cambridgeshire MP pays tribute to 'very, very good friend' Sir David Amess