ROWING: Matt produces the ‘Wright’ performance to do the double at home St Ives Regatta
- Credit: Archant
St Ives Rowing Club celebrated four successes at their home regatta last Saturday – and two of them were provided by the same man.
Matt Wright starred on the River Great Ouse by winning the open singles and double sculls.
Wright beat fellow St Ives member David Welch in the former event before combining with Elliott Hammond to see off opponents from Norwich and Peterborough in the double event.
Sam Hasted and Rory Crouch added to their honours collection on home water, beating opponents from the Leys School (Cambridge), Norwich and Peterborough to take the Junior 15 double sculls.
And rivals from Sudbury and Broxbourne were seen off by Connor Strong during his successful Junior 16 single sculls outing.
You may also want to watch:
A total of 211 crews – representing 20 different clubs – were involved in 153 races during a packed day of action.
St Ives officials Gary Gilbey and Chris Newland were responsible for the planning of an event which attracted a much bigger entry than in previous years.
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 3 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 4 Drink driver arrested in Brampton for being four times over the legal limit
- 5 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 6 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 7 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 8 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
- 9 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 10 Lets get Cambridgeshire back on the buses says mayor