A ‘Staggering’ sporting success as the elder statesmen of Huntingdonshire rugby take centre stage
- Credit: Archant
Huntingdon ‘Staggerers’ were victorious in the Old Boot tournament last Saturday.
It was the latest instalment of the annual three-way clash of veterans representing Huntingdonshire’s rugby union clubs - St Ives, St Neots and Huntingdon.
And there were plenty of points scored in the three matches of 40 minutes duration.
St Neots beat hosts St Ives 28-19 in the opener before going down to Huntingdon by the same scoreline. Huntingdon also beat St Ives 46-12 as they stormed to victory.
St Ives captain Craig Cheetham - a relative youngster in these circles at 38 - said: “The Old Boot is a fantastic event, as it brings together three of the oldest rivalries in the county in a celebration of rugby union.
“With players aged 35 to 65, the tournament shows just how inclusive a game rugby union is, and while there’s no love lost between the three Huntingdonshire clubs out on the pitch, the camaraderie and celebrations in the bar after the event show how much respect we have for the game and for each other.
“There are few other sports where players of all ages can come together and have such a terrific afternoon.
- 1 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 2 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 3 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 4 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 5 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 6 Huntingdon thief jailed after stealing watch, iPod and iPhone from vehicles
- 7 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 8 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 9 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 10 Silent protest at Camp Beagle as vans leave the site
“For anyone thinking of coming back to rugby after the World Cup and England’s Six Nations success, or even taking it up later in life, you’re guaranteed a warm welcome at your local club, whatever your age.”