A first point should have been a first win for St Ives Town

Danny Watson found the net for St Ives Town. Picture: LOUISE THOMPSON

Danny Watson found the net for St Ives Town. Picture: LOUISE THOMPSON - Credit: Archant

St Ives Town collected their first-ever point at Southern League Division One (Central) rivals Northwood yesterday – but only the post prevented them from claiming victory.

Saints stretched their unbeaten run to eight matches after a 1-1 deadlock in which the teams exchanged goals in the space of nine first-half minutes.

Leading scorer Danny Watson fired them ahead with a 21st minute finish, but the hosts levelled on the half-hour.

St Ives remain third but are now three points behind table-toppers AFC Rushden & Diamonds and second-placed Chalfont St Peter.

Boss Ricky Marheineke said: “We created a couple of good chances to win the game so it can be classed as a couple of points dropped.

“I was unhappy with how we had played in the first half. It is not often this season that I have been irate with the players at half-time, but it was the case yesterday.

“We hadn’t done enough in possession and we had given the ball away far too cheaply.

Most Read

“But the display in the second half was much improved so I’m disappointed not to have won the game.

“Northwood certainly isn’t an easy place to go by any means though and the positive is that we extended our unbeaten run.”

Saints handed a debut to new striking signing Scott Joseph, who was denied an opening goal by a smart save.

Ben Seymour-Shove headed another opportunity onto the roof of the net before Watson eventually made the breakthrough.

Saints’ leading scorer was picked out by a Jared Cunniff pass and made no mistake with his finish from 15 yards.

The advantage proved to be short-lived as Steve Gentle, who had earlier come to the rescue with a goal-line clearance, mis-judged the flight of a long ball and the hosts levelled.

Only the woodwork prevented Saints from hitting the front again when Seymour-Shove connected with a cross from substitute Chae Simons.

And Seymour-Shove was millimetres away from making contact with another ball across the box from Simons as Saints pressed for a winner late on.

They are back in action on Tuesday when making the trip to Bedfordshire side Barton Rovers (7.45pm).