A 10-goal difference, but the performance is just as pleasing as St Neots Town are pipped by League Two side
- Credit: Archant
St Neots Town won their opening pre-season friendly 11-2, but losing their second one 1-2 was arguably even more impressive.
There was a rather large gulf in terms of quality of opposition, as well as scorelines, between a Tuesday night loosener against the Step 6 minnows of Whittlesey Athletic and a much more serious workout versus the League Two professionals of Cambridge United today.
The home date against the U’s is becoming something of a traditional summer fixture. The previous two clashes had ended in 8-0 and 7-2 drubbings for St Neots, but the latest meeting was considerably closer.
Saints were behind early on when skipper Tom Ward inadvertently steered a Piero Mingola shot into his own net when attempting to clear, and the deficit was doubled just after the hour when Conor Newton thumped in a long-range effort.
But Saints, who made a raft of substitutions during the second half, had a goal of their own to celebrate in the closing stages.
And it will no doubt have been a sweet moment for youngster Jordan Brown as he fired home against a Cambridge side who released him last season after he had completed a scholarship.
The St Neots starting line-up featured Ryan Hawkins as he made his first appearance in seven months after recovering from ankle ligament damage.
- 1 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 2 Judge makes contempt of court ruling against Camp Beagle protesters
- 3 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 4 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 5 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 6 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 7 Jacob Crawshaw memorial football match raises more than £8,100
- 8 Huge Victorian house with pool and gym on sale for £1.75m
- 9 First episode of tractor TV show features farmer in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
Saints continue their preparations for the new Southern League Premier Division season when hosting National League South side Chelmsford City on Tuesday night.