A 10-goal difference, but the performance is just as pleasing as St Neots Town are pipped by League Two side
- Credit: Archant
St Neots Town won their opening pre-season friendly 11-2, but losing their second one 1-2 was arguably even more impressive.
There was a rather large gulf in terms of quality of opposition, as well as scorelines, between a Tuesday night loosener against the Step 6 minnows of Whittlesey Athletic and a much more serious workout versus the League Two professionals of Cambridge United today.
The home date against the U’s is becoming something of a traditional summer fixture. The previous two clashes had ended in 8-0 and 7-2 drubbings for St Neots, but the latest meeting was considerably closer.
Saints were behind early on when skipper Tom Ward inadvertently steered a Piero Mingola shot into his own net when attempting to clear, and the deficit was doubled just after the hour when Conor Newton thumped in a long-range effort.
But Saints, who made a raft of substitutions during the second half, had a goal of their own to celebrate in the closing stages.
You may also want to watch:
And it will no doubt have been a sweet moment for youngster Jordan Brown as he fired home against a Cambridge side who released him last season after he had completed a scholarship.
The St Neots starting line-up featured Ryan Hawkins as he made his first appearance in seven months after recovering from ankle ligament damage.
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 4 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 5 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 6 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 7 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 8 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 9 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 10 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
Saints continue their preparations for the new Southern League Premier Division season when hosting National League South side Chelmsford City on Tuesday night.