Rugby Report: Huntingdon 2's - 7 v March Bears - 40, report by Colin Galbraith.

Undefeated March Bears (One West Eastern Counties) saw their last fixture being conceded by Peterborough leaving March runaway victors in the league with an astonishing 96 points out of an absolute maximum of 100 and with a huge points difference.

However, Huntingdon stepped into the breach which saw March take a squad of 30 players to the Racecourse Ground on Saturday, illustrating the strength and depth of the their squad still with several key players missing.

The Hunts Post: Action from the game on Saturday.Action from the game on Saturday. (Image: Colin Galbraith)

After four minutes, this looked like the start of a normal runaway game for March with Callum Campbell setting off on an individual run cutting through the Huntingdon backs at a great angle. His try was converted by the ever reliable Sam Howat.

But full credit to Huntingdon, their scrum and half backs kept at it and eventually in 17 minutes a great dummy saw their scrum half go over for a converted try, 7 - 7.

This March Bears are made of a different stuff and they stuck to the task, even despite some basic handling errors they eventually strung together a good backs move featuring Callum Campbell which saw Ben Pyle going over for their second try in the 31st minute

But March Bears were not finished, and bang on half time saw another goods backs movement with a great looped  pass from Sam Howat to Sam Chapman, lurking on the wing, bringing the half time score to 7 - 21.

March now started rotating their squad at repeated intervals which did mean the second half was to be slightly  disjointed but that did not stop March scoring two tries in three minutes in the 48th and 51st minute.

The first was generated by a clever back hand pass from Sam Howat to the other Chapman brother Todd and then the forwards put together a very good move, including Adam Boxall, Billy Robinson went over for the Bears.

Both were very well converted by Sam Howat despite the extreme windy conditions

Finally, at 67 minutes, March scored their final try created by a smart dink kick by Ben Pyle which was followed up by Aidan who flipped it up to Ethan Jones who wasn’t going to miss the opportunity to score