Zoo park reopens after fire which destroyed stable block
- Credit: Archant
Hamerton Zoo has reopened to the public again following a fire which destroyed a stable block.
Officials at the zoo worked around the clock to clean up after the blaze, which broke out on Thursday morning, and the doors to the venue were open again on Friday (April 14) as normal.
Animals had to be evacuated after a stable block went up in flames.
The incident took place on Thursday, with crews from Huntingdon, St Neots, Papworth and Stanground, with command support from Dogsthorpe, all called to attend the zoo, in Hamerton Road.
The stable block, used for storage and as a workshop, was also home to a number of goats and rabbits. Park staff evacuated the animals from the block and firefighters used two jets to extinguish the fire. None of the animals were injured in the incident.
A spokesman for the zoo park said: “Staff managed to rescue the rabbits and goats before the fire took hold and we were able to move all the parrots once the firefighters had the fire under control, and are now under veterinary supervision.”
Watch commander Rob Foreman added: “Crews set up a water curtain to prevent the smoke affecting a nearby animal enclosure housing parrots and large macaws. No animals were hurt in the fire but a male casualty was treated for smoke inhalation.”
- 1 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 2 Pictures show dramatic skies over Huntingdonshire and the Fens
- 3 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 4 White roses and political history in Huntingdonshire
- 5 80th birthday celebrations for the East's longest-serving lollipop lady
- 6 RSPCA investigating 'welfare of beagles' at Huntingdon dog breeding unit
- 7 Huntingdon thief jailed after stealing watch, iPod and iPhone from vehicles
- 8 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 9 Beer from Lidl and vegan chocolates among items recalled over safety fears
- 10 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
A spokesman for the fire service said the cause of the fire was accidental, by electrical equipment.