Young Sawtry woman woken by car crashing into her house
- Credit: Archant
A YOUNG woman was woken in the early hours of Sunday by a car crashing into her own vehicle and slamming it into her house.
Zoe Sanigar told The Hunts Post she was asleep when she was awoken at 4am by the vibrations caused when her Volkswagen Golf was shunted into the front of her house in Windsor Road, Sawtry.
The 20-year-old, who only moved to the house a month ago, rushed outside and said she discovered a silver Vauxhall Astra had smashed into her car after leaving a trail of destruction, including scraping the side of another car parked nearby and demolishing a road sign.
Miss Sanigar said: “I was woken by the sound but the impact must have also shaken the house. It was lucky that the car didn’t go straight through my garage.”
The impact damaged the utility room brick work and, inside, has cracked the ceiling, she said. It also squashed the drain pipe.
She added: “The man tried to drive away but his car was going nowhere. He got out and he had been drinking – he stumbled over me.
“We managed to get his name and he said he lived quite close. When the police were about to turn up, he ran away. They said the car was unregistered and carried out a search of the area but didn’t find anyone.”
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 3 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 4 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 5 Huntingdon thief jailed after stealing watch, iPod and iPhone from vehicles
- 6 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 7 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 8 Pictures show dramatic skies over Huntingdonshire and the Fens
- 9 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 10 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
Miss Sanigar said the man was in his 20s.
A Cambridgeshire police spokesman said: “We were called to reports of a collision in The Granary, Sawtry, at 4.30am on Sunday.
“A silver Astra estate was in collision with a parked car, however, the driver then left the scene.
Officers carried out an area search but were unable to locate the driver.”
He added that a man had come forward and was due to be interviewed this week.