Wyton butcher recognised for range of sausages and pies at industry awards
- Credit: Archant
A butcher from Wyton collected diamond and gold awards at the Butchers Q Guild Smithfield Awards.
Walter Smith Fine Foods, based at Wyevale Garden Centre, won the diamond award in the Hot Pies and Bakery category, while its Wyton Wonder pie was chosen as the Best English Pork product.
This shop went on to pick up three further golds with a brace of speciality sausages, St Ives Sizzler and the Huntingdon Hog, along with its Higgledy Piggledy Pie.
Peter Lamburn, manager of the shop, said: “It’s absolutely fantastic. It was a team effort – this product is something we’ve been doing for about 12 months and it just went from strength to strength. Sales are very, very good. We’re over the moon.”
The Wyton Wonder Pie is made from smoked gammon, chicken and leeks in a parsley sauce.
You may also want to watch:
Open to the Q Guild’s 123 members nationwide, the 2017 Smithfield Awards attracted a record entry of almost 600 individual products, a major increase on the previous year, from 61 butcher businesses from the Scottish Highlands down to the south coast.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 3 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 4 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 5 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 6 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 7 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 8 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 9 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?