Pair found acting suspiciously around homes in St Ives are jailed
- Credit: Archant
Two men who were arrested after acting suspiciously in a residential area of St Ives at the weekend have both been jailed for 18 weeks.
Police were called after Wally Allgood, 42, and John Hayden, 31, were seen looking around a property in St Audrey’s Lane on Sunday (December 2).
They were reported to be looking through windows and asking to buy cars that were not for sale.
Officers arrived soon after to speak to the pair but Allgood attempted to flee, throwing a claw hammer into a bush before being detained.
When searched, Allgood was found with a balaclava and gloves and both men were arrested for going equipped to commit burglary.
On Tuesday, Allgood, of no fixed abode, and Hayden, of London Road, Malden, Essex, pleaded guilty to going equipped to commit burglary at Cambridge Magistrates’ Court.
Det Sgt Colin Norden said: “It is clear these men set out with the intent to steal from others.
- 1 Huntingdon bookshop gets share of £2m online profits
- 2 Man who died on A1 at Sawtry is named
- 3 Garage demolition opponents set up Facebook group
- 4 Historic Huntingdon building on the market for nearly £500k
- 5 'Our inspiration' - Baby born four months early survives fight for life
- 6 Mini-convoy marks funeral of 'kind-hearted' lorry driver
- 7 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 8 Fatal crash blocks A1M in Cambridgeshire
- 9 Appeal for dashcam footage following three lorry crash on the A14
- 10 Universal credit households to receive £20 for rising living costs
“I would like to commend the quick-thinking member of the public who called to report their behaviour and hope that others will come forward and do the same.”