Worker died after years of exposure to asbestos dust, inquest hears
- Credit: Archant
A retired architectural technician who was exposed to asbestos during years of working on building sites died from an industrial disease, a coroner has ruled.
David Spetch, 72, had even been responsible for drawing up a survey for the removal of asbestos from a building, an inquest in Huntingdon heard.
In a statement written after his diagnosis, Mr Spetch told how he had regularly been in areas which were full of asbestos dust as fireproofing panels were cut to fit, but had not been given any safety advice or protection.
At Lawrence Court, in Huntingdon, senior coroner David Heming said the mesothelioma which caused Mr Spetch’s death was a result of him being exposed to the material during his working life.
He said there was a clear link between mesothelioma – a rare form of cancer - and exposure to asbestos, and expressed his condolences to Mr Spetch’s family.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Spetch, of Sparrowhawk Way, in Hartford, died at Hinchingbrooke Hospital on January 6 from metastatic mesothelioma, with diabetes being a secondary factor.
In his statement to the coroner, Mr Spetch told how he had been exposed to asbestos during a number of jobs starting in the 1960s where fitters were cutting up asbestos sheeting with power saws, creating dust.
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 4 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 5 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 6 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 7 'Trolley waits' hit high for trust that oversees Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 8 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 9 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 10 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
He said he often spent a third of his working life on site, including checking whether the building work was being carried out correctly.
“I was never given any warning of the danger of asbestos or protection to wear,” he said.
In his statement, Mr Spetch said he had been working at a hospital where pipes in a service tunnel had been lagged with asbestos which was in poor condition and falling off, made worse by steam leaking from a boiler which had blown some of the lagging off. He had carried out a survey for the removal of the asbestos.