Women's Institute news
WI: Almost a full house met for the May meeting in the Free Church Hall. We were pleased to welcome another new club member. Club business included an explanation by the president of the two resolutions that will be voted on at the annual conference to be
WI: Almost a full house met for the May meeting in the Free Church Hall. We were pleased to welcome another new club member.
Club business included an explanation by the president of the two resolutions that will be voted on at the annual conference to be held in June in Cardiff. Members discussed this and voted with their views on the two items - renewable energy and sport for a healthy population.
Derek Harris entertained us with his informative and highly amusing musical presentation of 'Up the Cut' (life on the canals of England and Wales). It was a whistlestop tour of the modern canal system from its birth through to its growth, heyday, then decline and neglect, followed by the modern rebirth for leisure cruising.
A dozen or so songs were added from all eras of the history, together without participation. Input from the members of their own experience of this fascinating subject showed how we all enjoyed the topic.
You may also want to watch:
Over refreshments, exchange of the past month events and those forthcoming took place. Items from the members' gardens were swapped with enthusiasm, and the raffle was drawn.
The next meeting on June 7 will be about Hearing Dogs for the Deaf with Joan Lawrence and her dog Scampi. This will be held in the large church hall at 7.30pm. For further information about the group contact 01480 462303.
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 4 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 5 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 6 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 7 'Trolley waits' hit high for trust that oversees Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 8 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 9 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
- 10 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens