A WOMAN was treated by paramedics after she left food cooking for too long, filling her home with smoke.

At 6.30pm last night (Wednesday), firefighters were called to a house in Great Whyte, Ramsey, to reports of a kitchen fire. This was caused by food left on the hob for loo long that had started to smoke.

When they arrived they found there was no fire but smoke had filled the property and set off the smoke alarm. The fire crew ventilated the home and called for an ambulance which treated the female occupant for smoke inhalation.

Tony Thacker, watch commander at Ramsey Fire Station, said: "This fire was not as serious because of the fire alarm which alerted the occupant before it could spread."