Woman dies and 19 injured in minibus crash
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
A woman has died and a number of people have been injured following a collision near Bluntisham yesterday (14 November).
Police were called at about 4.50pm with reports of a collision involving a white Mercedes minibus and a black Volkswagen Golf on the B1040 Somersham Road, at its junction with Bluntisham Heath Road.
Emergency services attended, but despite their best efforts, one woman, aged in her 80s, was pronounced dead at the scene.
A total of 18 passengers from the minibus, all aged between 60 and 80, were taken to hospital. Some were seriously injured, but further details are unclear.
The driver of the Volkswagen, a man in his 70s, was also taken to hospital where he remains in a serious condition.
It is understood that more than 20 firefighters attended the collision last night, alongside police and ambulance crews.
The East Anglian Air Ambulance and a team from the East of England Ambulance Service were also at the scene, with the injured being taken to Hinchingbrooke and Addenbrooke's hospitals.
- 1 New business celebrates its grand opening in St Ives
- 2 Covid sweeps across Cambridgeshire as summer wave takes hold
- 3 Huntingdon is 'prime example' of good infrastructure in region
- 4 Council calls for return to mask wearing as Covid soars
- 5 Singing group will celebrate its silver jubilee with a concert
- 6 Steve Barclay becomes Health Secretary following shock resignations
- 7 Hunts history festival kicked off with a bang!
- 8 Rikki Neave’s mother calls for tougher sentence for son’s murderer
- 9 St Ivo Dance alumnae stars in Britain's Got Talent, the West End and Comic Relief
- 10 School project raises awareness of endangered species
A spokesman for the ambulance service said: "We were called at 4.51pm with reports of a collision on the B1040, Woodhurst.
"We sent the Hazardous Area Response Team, Magpas Air Ambulance, East Anglian Air Ambulance, eight ambulance officers, a rapid response vehicle and ten ambulances.
"Six people were taken to Hinchingbrooke Hospital and 13 people were taken to Addenbrooke's Hospital.
"Sadly despite our best efforts one person died at the scene."
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue service said: "On Thursday (14) at 4.54pm 25 firefighters were called to a road traffic collision on Somersham Road, Bluntisham. Crews from Cambridge, Cottenham, Ely, Chatteris and Huntingdon attended the incident.
"Crews arrived to find a collision involving a minibus and a car, the minibus was on its side.
"Firefighters used specialist equipment to release 19 casualties and were left in the care of the ambulance services, one casualty unfortunately passed away at the scene.
"Crews returned to their stations by 8.20pm."
Anyone who witnessed the collision is asked to contact the road policing unit on 101 or visit www.cambs.police.uk/report.