Woman dies and 19 injured in minibus crash
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
A woman has died and a number of people have been injured following a collision near Bluntisham yesterday (14 November).
Police were called at about 4.50pm with reports of a collision involving a white Mercedes minibus and a black Volkswagen Golf on the B1040 Somersham Road, at its junction with Bluntisham Heath Road.
Emergency services attended, but despite their best efforts, one woman, aged in her 80s, was pronounced dead at the scene.
A total of 18 passengers from the minibus, all aged between 60 and 80, were taken to hospital. Some were seriously injured, but further details are unclear.
The driver of the Volkswagen, a man in his 70s, was also taken to hospital where he remains in a serious condition.
It is understood that more than 20 firefighters attended the collision last night, alongside police and ambulance crews.
The East Anglian Air Ambulance and a team from the East of England Ambulance Service were also at the scene, with the injured being taken to Hinchingbrooke and Addenbrooke's hospitals.
- 1 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 2 Huntingdon town mayor supports launch of The Eclettica
- 3 Oliver Cromwell pub has had a brand new refurbishment
- 4 Could you give these pets a home?
- 5 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
- 6 Family pay tribute to woman who died following St Ives crash
- 7 Huntingdon Racecourse - surviving the pandemic and then came the floods!
- 8 'He is our hero' - D-day veteran Wilf, 102, gets surprise visit in St Neots
- 9 A look at how people prepared for Christmas in the last 100 years
- 10 St Ives Town Mayor visits The Filling Station and tries new Christmas Beer
A spokesman for the ambulance service said: "We were called at 4.51pm with reports of a collision on the B1040, Woodhurst.
"We sent the Hazardous Area Response Team, Magpas Air Ambulance, East Anglian Air Ambulance, eight ambulance officers, a rapid response vehicle and ten ambulances.
"Six people were taken to Hinchingbrooke Hospital and 13 people were taken to Addenbrooke's Hospital.
"Sadly despite our best efforts one person died at the scene."
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue service said: "On Thursday (14) at 4.54pm 25 firefighters were called to a road traffic collision on Somersham Road, Bluntisham. Crews from Cambridge, Cottenham, Ely, Chatteris and Huntingdon attended the incident.
"Crews arrived to find a collision involving a minibus and a car, the minibus was on its side.
"Firefighters used specialist equipment to release 19 casualties and were left in the care of the ambulance services, one casualty unfortunately passed away at the scene.
"Crews returned to their stations by 8.20pm."
Anyone who witnessed the collision is asked to contact the road policing unit on 101 or visit www.cambs.police.uk/report.