Winner of district-wide charity pub quiz is crowned
- Credit: Archant
A team from The Duchess pub in Fenstanton was crowned winners of a district-wide charity quiz in a close-run competition held on March 22.
Organised by the Rotary Club of St Ives, the quiz attracted 43 pubs and clubs from all over Cambridgeshire and raised in excess of £2,200, which will go towards Rotary charities and other good causes.
More than 600 contestants took part in the 18th running of the event.
The Duchess scored 191 points out of a maximum of 195, winning by just two points, and beating 42 other teams who entered the event. They won a prize cheque of £250 for their chosen charity, Children with Cancer UK, together with the Quizmaster Cup and a case of 12 bottles of wine, sponsored by Wellington Wise estate agents.
In second place were the team from The Axe and Compass, Hemingford Abbots, who scored 189 points, winning a prize cheque of £125 for their charity Ebyon Trust (St. Ives) and six bottles of wine. Third place went to the Admiral Vernon, Over who also scored 189 and win a charity cheque of £75 divided between MAGPAS and Motorneurone Disease.
You may also want to watch:
Quiz organiser, Adrian Acton said he was “absolutely delighted” with the number of teams taking part and also thanked the Rotary clubs of Huntingdon, Huntingdon Cromwell and St Ives Inner Wheel Club, plus everyone who performed as quiz masters for their enthusiasm and support .
Anyone wishing to join in the next quiz, scheduled for October 4 can get more details from Adrian on 07850 898684 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 6 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 7 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 8 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 9 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 10 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding