Wasp nest to blame for Eaton Ford home fire

A WASP nest built around a light fitting was the cause of a blaze which nearly engulfed the loft of a home in Eaton Ford last night.

The homeowners were unaware of the nest when they went into the loft and switched on the light, a Cambridgeshire Fire spokesman said.

Within seconds the nest began smoking, forcing the property owners to flee.

Two appliances rushed to the scene at St Neots Road at around 8pm. Firefighters put out the flames and then moved the nest to a place of safety.

Damage was caused to the light fitting and some of the surrounding roof.

The wasps did not attack, as it is thought the smoke may have rendered them docile.

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter