The homeowners were unaware of the nest when they went into the loft and switched on the light, a Cambridgeshire Fire spokesman said. Within seconds the nest began smoking, forcing the property owners to flee. Two appliances rushed to the scene at St Neots Road at around 8pm. Firefighters put out the flames and then moved the nest to a place of safety. Damage was caused to the light fitting and some of the surrounding roof. The wasps did not attack, as it is thought the smoke may have rendered them docile.