Warning to homeowners after attempted distraction burglary
- Credit: Archant
Police have issued advice to homeowners after an attempted distraction burglary in Hemingford Grey.
The incident took place between 4-5pm on March 28 at a property in Church Street, with a man purporting to be from Anglian Water knocking on the door of a house.
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire police said: “Once inside the house, the man managed to persuade the lady to leave him alone whilst he went upstairs, then instructed her to go upstairs whilst he remained downstairs, ostensibly carrying out tests to the plumbing.
“When the lady became suspicious, she summoned a neighbour who checked with Anglian Water and found that the man was bogus. The police were then called, by which time the man had disappeared.”
According to officers, the man is described as white, between 40 and 50-years-old and was wearing a blue boiler-suit.
The spokesman added: “At the moment, it does not appear that anything was stolen. Police have carried out house-to-house enquiries at neighbouring properties and the investigation is on-going.”
In the wake of the incident, police re-issued advice on bogus callers, reminded residents never to admit a stranger without checking their credentials first.
- 1 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 2 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 3 Public meeting to discuss Luton aircraft stacking system
- 4 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 5 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 6 East West Rail host public event to discuss controversial project
- 7 Find out what's happening in Huntingdonshire for the Queen's Jubilee?
- 8 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 9 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 10 80th birthday celebrations for the East's longest-serving lollipop lady
Further advice on dealing with bogus callers is available on the Cambridgeshire Constabulary website at: https://www.cambs.police.uk/crimeprevention/advice/advice.asp?ID=141