Warning to homeowners after attempted distraction burglary
- Credit: Archant
Police have issued advice to homeowners after an attempted distraction burglary in Hemingford Grey.
The incident took place between 4-5pm on March 28 at a property in Church Street, with a man purporting to be from Anglian Water knocking on the door of a house.
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire police said: “Once inside the house, the man managed to persuade the lady to leave him alone whilst he went upstairs, then instructed her to go upstairs whilst he remained downstairs, ostensibly carrying out tests to the plumbing.
“When the lady became suspicious, she summoned a neighbour who checked with Anglian Water and found that the man was bogus. The police were then called, by which time the man had disappeared.”
According to officers, the man is described as white, between 40 and 50-years-old and was wearing a blue boiler-suit.
You may also want to watch:
The spokesman added: “At the moment, it does not appear that anything was stolen. Police have carried out house-to-house enquiries at neighbouring properties and the investigation is on-going.”
In the wake of the incident, police re-issued advice on bogus callers, reminded residents never to admit a stranger without checking their credentials first.
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 6 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 7 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 8 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 9 'Trolley waits' hit high for trust that oversees Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 10 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
Further advice on dealing with bogus callers is available on the Cambridgeshire Constabulary website at: https://www.cambs.police.uk/crimeprevention/advice/advice.asp?ID=141