Homeownerers in Cambridgeshire are being reminded to get their chimneys swept regularly following three chimney fires across the county in a day.

All three chimney fires happened on Sunday and all were in homes.

A crew from Huntingdon attended the first fire at a home in Abbots Close in Woodhurst. Firefighters were at the property for around two-and-a-half hours before returning to the station.

In the same afternoon, crews from Wisbech spent about an hour extinguishing a chimney fire at a home in Cocketts Drive, in Wisbech. A crew from Dogshorpe also attended a chimney fire in Peteborough Road, Castor.

Head of community fire safety for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service, Kevin Napier, said: "Nationally, the majority of chimney fires occur between January and March each year and these three incidents all occurring within one day echo the importance of ensuring you correctly maintain your chimney to avoid the same occurring in your home.

"We have been working with HETAS throughout this period to help promote registered installers, chimney sweeps and useful guidance documents all available online at www.hetas.co.uk."