Firefighters were called a blaze in Eynesbury this morning (Friday) after a tumble dryer caught light.

The fire had broken out in the kitchen of the house in Shirdley Road and had engulfed the ground floor of the home in smoke.

The homeowner had put a tumble dryer on before going to bed and a fire broke out.

Watch commander Jon-Paul Jones said: “An important message must come out of this incident; please do not put white goods on overnight.”

Although there were working smoke alarms in the property, the smoke did not reach the family and so they did not activate.

“The family came downstairs this morning and as soon as they realised there was a fire they did exactly the right thing by closing all the doors on their way out, staying out, and dialling 999,” added commander Jones.

Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue were called to the scene before 8am.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used hose reels and jets to extinguish the fire by 8.10am. Ventilation fans were used to clear the smoke.

The fire and damage was contained to the kitchen as doors were closed to the rest of the house.

Commander Jones said: “Please remember to not leave things like dishwashers, tumble dryers and washing machines on overnight, close doors before going to bed and check you have a working smoke alarm.”

The cause of the fire was accidental.