Warning issued after ‘man wearing clown mask’ approaches children in Sawtry
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Police are appealing for information after children in Sawtry were approached by a man in a clown mask.
The man is reported to have approached two children who were playing near the junction of Ashdale Close yesterday (October 27) in the village between 4 and 5pm.
Cambridgeshire police are looking to trace the man who they believe was involved in the incident.
A spokesman from Cambridgeshire police said: “Whilst we appreciate that it is the time of year where some may find it amusing to wear costumes/disguises to celebrate Halloween, this particular incident has scared two small children.
“Such behaviour is not acceptable, and may even constitute a criminal offence in the circumstances.”
You may also want to watch:
Last year, the police received reports of a number of similar incidents involving clowns as part of a social media craze.
In a bid to reassure residents, police are putting on extra patrols for this evening (October 28).
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 5 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 6 Drink driver arrested in Brampton for being four times over the legal limit
- 7 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 8 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 9 Lets get Cambridgeshire back on the buses says mayor
- 10 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
The spokesman added “We would like to stress that we do not believe there is anything sinister about this incident but as a precaution there will be additional patrols.”
In anyone has any information as to the identity of the male wearing the mask they are being urged to call 101, quoting incident number CC-27102015-374.