Firefighters have issued a warning to homeowners after an unattended candle sparked a house fire in Huntingdon.

Crews from Huntingdon and Papworth were called to a blaze in St Peter's Road at about 7.15pm, on Sunday and arrived to find a fire in a bedroom of a two-storey house.

A spokesman for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said: "The house was safely evacuated before the crews arrived.

Wearing breathing apparatus the crews extinguished the fire using a hose reel and returned to their stations by 8.25pm."

Watch Commander Stocker Standen, the officer in charge at the scene, said: "The damage to the property was limited thanks to early warning from a working smoke alarm. The family had also closed doors within the property, which helped limited the smoke damage."

The cause of the fire was accidental, caused by an unattended candle.

Watch commander Standen added: "We would like to remind people to never leave candles unattended and do not place near combustible items."