Warning from fire crews after blaze at a house in Huntingdon
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters have issued a warning to homeowners after an unattended candle sparked a house fire in Huntingdon.
Crews from Huntingdon and Papworth were called to a blaze in St Peter’s Road at about 7.15pm, on Sunday and arrived to find a fire in a bedroom of a two-storey house.
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “The house was safely evacuated before the crews arrived.
Wearing breathing apparatus the crews extinguished the fire using a hose reel and returned to their stations by 8.25pm.”
Watch Commander Stocker Standen, the officer in charge at the scene, said: “The damage to the property was limited thanks to early warning from a working smoke alarm. The family had also closed doors within the property, which helped limited the smoke damage.”
You may also want to watch:
The cause of the fire was accidental, caused by an unattended candle.
Watch commander Standen added: “We would like to remind people to never leave candles unattended and do not place near combustible items.”
- 1 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 2 Award for teenager's bravery after losing his sight
- 3 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 4 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 5 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 6 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 7 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 8 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 9 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 10 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'