Warning after spare logs spark blaze at Houghton home
- Credit: Archant
The fire service has issued a warning to homeowners following a blaze at a property in Houghton on Sunday.
Firefighters from Huntingdon were called to a house in St Ives Road shortly before 3.45pm.
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said that firefighters arrived to find a fire in the living room. Wearing breathing apparatus, crews extinguished the fire using a hose reel and cleared the smoke using a positive pressure ventilation fan.
Station Commander Wayne Swales, the officer in charge at the incident, said: “The fire was caused by spare logs being stored too close to a log burner, which was being used to heat the property.
“It is important to ensure when using any kind of open fire to heat a property that the area is clear of any other combustible material.”
You may also want to watch:
The crews returned to their station by 5pm
- 1 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 2 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 3 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 4 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 5 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 6 'Plague' of flies in Huntingdonshire villages
- 7 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
- 8 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 9 Axe-wielding burglar smashed way into St Neots house
- 10 Man dies after single-car crash near Godmanchester