The fire service has issued a warning to homeowners following a blaze at a property in Houghton on Sunday.

Firefighters from Huntingdon were called to a house in St Ives Road shortly before 3.45pm.

A spokesman for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said that firefighters arrived to find a fire in the living room. Wearing breathing apparatus, crews extinguished the fire using a hose reel and cleared the smoke using a positive pressure ventilation fan.

Station Commander Wayne Swales, the officer in charge at the incident, said: "The fire was caused by spare logs being stored too close to a log burner, which was being used to heat the property.

"It is important to ensure when using any kind of open fire to heat a property that the area is clear of any other combustible material."

The crews returned to their station by 5pm