Warboys man to complete summer triathlon in aid of Macmillan
- Credit: Archant
A man from Warboys will swim, cycle and run more than 100 miles in aid of Macmillan Cancer Support this summer.
James Langley, 29, will put his fitness to the test in this year’s Iron Man challenge in Bolton; a triathlon which athletes must finish in 17 hours.
“The more money I can raise the better. During the race when it gets tough, the more money I’ve got behind me is going to spur me on,” James told The Hunts Post.
Organised by the charity, the course on July 17 involves a 2.4 mile swim, a cycle race of 112 miles and a 26.2 run.
James hopes to raise £2,000 and would like funds sent to The Macmillan Woodlands Centre in Huntingdon.
“The Macmillan nurses helped my auntie when she was dying and I’ve lost family members to cancer; I just think it’s a good cause,” he said.
Macmillan provides support for those living with cancer, offering expert information, advice and courses.
- 1 Evidence of Huntingdon's past revealed during excavations
- 2 BID's new Huntingdon town manager
- 3 Bypass and junction improvements preferred plan for St Ives
- 4 Camp Beagle protestor has charges against him dropped
- 5 St Neots man in court on drugs charges
- 6 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 7 Serious case review launched into death of Teddie Mitchell
- 8 Plumbing ringleader who ‘traded under multiple names’ jailed
- 9 Anglian Water seeks funding to secure the future of an ancient Sea Monster
- 10 Former Wisbech mayor Aigars Balsevics charged with rape
James, an aircraft engineer in the Royal Navy, has already completed a half marathon and half-distance triathlon, but only since he stopped smoking less than two years ago.
“The smoking nurse said sport helps, so I started off by doing little runs on the treadmill, then cycling with mates from work, then someone said to do a small triathlon and it went from there.
“This week I’ve cycled 200 miles in training,” he said.
To donate, text IMAN86 with the amount you wish to give to 70070, or go to justgiving.com/Jameslangleyironman