‘You won’t believe what we have found’- Villager discovers WWII bomb in his back garden
- Credit: Archant
Bomb dispersal experts still on scene after Second World War relic was uncovered.
A Hemingford Abbots’ resident has spoken of his shock after a WWII bomb was dug up in his garden while he was working from home.
Niels Payne, 51, was alerted by workmen this morning (September 21) by a tap on the window to say they had found “something suspicious”.
Residents were told to evacuate their homes and stand 50 metres away.
Niels said: “Grounds Maintenance contractors turned up this morning do some work for us in our back garden at 8.30am.
“They had only been working an hour with a digger, when I got a tap on the window and they said you won’t believe what we have just found.
You may also want to watch:
“They had found something suspicious and we then called the police and they came over to have a look and then they immediately called the Explosive Ordnance Company (EOD) team to come and have a look at it.
“We were evacuated from our home at 9.30am this morning and our neighbours were too.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 3 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 4 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 5 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 6 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 7 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 8 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 9 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 10 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
“We have to stand 50 metres away from the house.”
A police spokesman said: “Police are currently at a property in High street, Hemingford Abbots, following reports workmen in the area have found an unexploded bomb.
“A cordon has been put in place as a precaution.
“(EOD) have been called to safely dispose of it.”