Village shop in running for ‘rural Oscars’
- Credit: Archant
A village shop has been shortlisted for an honour in the East of England’s Countryside Alliance Awards.
Perry Stores, in Chichester Way, Perry, is in the running in the award’s village shop and post office category, in which it will vie with three other stores for a chance to win the regional prize.
The awards are the Countryside Alliance’s annual celebration of rural produce, skills, enterprise and heritage through small businesses.
They are now in their 12th year and, this year, more than 7,500 nominations were received across five categories: local food and drink; village shop or post office; tourism enterprise; farm enterprise; and butcher.
Also in the running in the village shop category are Sarratt Post Office Stores, of Hertfordshire, Leadenham Post Office and Teahouse, of Lincolnshire, and The Udder Room and Post Office, of Suffolk.
You may also want to watch:
Countryside Alliance awards director, Jill Grieve, said: “This has been a record year for nominations, showing how much the public values and supports our hard working rural businessmen and women.
“For these finalists to get this far is already an exceptional achievement and I look forward to meeting them as judging gets underway. The Rural Oscars were set up to champion those who go the extra mile for their communities and it is an honour to offer a voice to rural business in this way.”
- 1 Driver of fully laden HGV who failed breath test 'couldn't stand up unaided'
- 2 Super slimmer who lost one third of her body weight crowned woman of year
- 3 It's snowing! Send us your snow photos
- 4 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 5 Hunts police called to 'numerous breaches' of covid regulations
- 6 Complaints as elderly people wait in freezing conditions for vaccine
- 7 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 8 Two weeks left to respond to proposed flight path over Huntingdonshire
- 9 Villagers call for action after 'worst floods in years'
- 10 Pair jailed after drugs and cash worth £184k seized in 'peaceful' village
Each business will receive a visit from judges, with the regional winners announced in February. They will then advance to the national finals, taking place in March.