Village shop in running for ‘rural Oscars’
- Credit: Archant
A village shop has been shortlisted for an honour in the East of England’s Countryside Alliance Awards.
Perry Stores, in Chichester Way, Perry, is in the running in the award’s village shop and post office category, in which it will vie with three other stores for a chance to win the regional prize.
The awards are the Countryside Alliance’s annual celebration of rural produce, skills, enterprise and heritage through small businesses.
They are now in their 12th year and, this year, more than 7,500 nominations were received across five categories: local food and drink; village shop or post office; tourism enterprise; farm enterprise; and butcher.
Also in the running in the village shop category are Sarratt Post Office Stores, of Hertfordshire, Leadenham Post Office and Teahouse, of Lincolnshire, and The Udder Room and Post Office, of Suffolk.
You may also want to watch:
Countryside Alliance awards director, Jill Grieve, said: “This has been a record year for nominations, showing how much the public values and supports our hard working rural businessmen and women.
“For these finalists to get this far is already an exceptional achievement and I look forward to meeting them as judging gets underway. The Rural Oscars were set up to champion those who go the extra mile for their communities and it is an honour to offer a voice to rural business in this way.”
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 3 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 4 Elsie May's Electric Lounge to raise £15,000 for bakery school
- 5 Visiting restrictions at Hinchingbrooke Hospital partially lifted
- 6 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 7 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 8 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 9 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 10 Parents 'can never forgive' actions for Maddie's murder
Each business will receive a visit from judges, with the regional winners announced in February. They will then advance to the national finals, taking place in March.