Village pub set to open after community group steps in
- Credit: Archant
A group of Grafham residents are set to open their own community pub.
The group came together last year amid frustration at the lack of a dedicated watering hold in the village and decided to take matters into their own hands by forming a committee.
The committee gathered feedback from residents and started to offer shares to those in the village who wanted to support the project.
Additional funds to purchase the pub were raised by directors, with the backing of the committee through events held in the village, and a donation from the A14 project for £10,000.
The pub will be sited adjacent to the village’s community shop and opposite the village hall.
You may also want to watch:
Tina Theodorou, a committee member, said: “The reason we decided to do this was because we are always so fed up of having to get in our cars and go to a pub somewhere else. So, after some discussions, we decided that we would see whether or not any Grafham residents would like a pub and the feedback was ‘yes’.”
A planning application to convert a wooden log cabin into a pub was submitted to Huntingdonshire District Council in May 2016 and was approved.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 3 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 4 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 5 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 6 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 7 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 8 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 9 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 10 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
The committee, which has been working on the pub plan since November, is made up of village residents, who feel that Grafham needs a pub.
Adrian Love, another committee member, said: “This all came from our successful beer festival that we hold every year. We also have a pop-up pub on the first Friday of every month and we just thought why not have one all the time?
“We wanted to make sure that this was something that we could give back to the community and allow them to take some ownership of the facilities.
“We have already had some generous donations, and we want to make sure that most of the money will go back into our community.”
The committee are looking for furniture donations for the pub, to donate, or to find out more information, contact 07875 505201.
The committee hopes to have the pub, which will be known as the Pub at Grafham, pulling its first pints in October.