Village golfers help raise thousands of pounds for good causes at a stroke!
- Credit: Archant
Keen golfers from the villages of Houghton and Wyton raised more than £2,600 for charities at their annual golf day.
The 17th annual Houghton versus Wyton Charity Golf Day, playing for the Edgar Trophy, was held at Lakeside Lodge Golf Club in September, and was followed by a raffle, auction and meal at the Three Horseshoes in Houghton.
Some 48 golfers played in the match, which was won by the Houghton team 6½-5½ - their first victory for six years - bringing the overall score to 11½-5½ in favour of Wyton.
A spokesman for the event said: “Many thanks to all our generous sponsors, prize donors, auction bidders, players and their families who between them raised the magnificent sum of £2,655 which has been split between our two 2017 charities, the Acorn Cancer Support Group and Huntingdonshire Volunteer Centre.”
Natalie Leigh-Brown, from the Huntingdonshire Volunteer Office, said: “We are extremely grateful for this donation from the Houghton and Wyton golfers. This funding will enable us to maintain and support our local community car schemes.
“For many people this service provides a vital lifeline, without which, a number of them would be unable to leave their home. New volunteer drivers are always welcome.”
Jan Dyer, of the Acorn Cancer Support Group, said: “This is a truly wonderful donation and will help immensely to sustain our efforts to support cancer patients and carers in the local area. We sincerely thank all those who participated in the golf day for their generosity.”
- 1 Opposition group to fight plans for new homes in village
- 2 Honda, Seat and Toyota crash on A141
- 3 Vehicle caught fire on A1 near St Neots
- 4 Man assaulted woman and verbally abused hotel staff
- 5 A lost wedding photo uncovers a heartbreaking story
- 6 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 7 Off duty nurse saves a man's life by performing CPR
- 8 Huntingdon Carnival and parade returns this summer
- 9 A1 set for night-time and weekend closures until August
- 10 Outdoor inflatable water park returns to Huntingdonshire
Find out more about the Acorn group at www.acornsupportgroup.org.uk. To find out more about the volunteer centre, call 01480 301462 or log on to www.huntsvc.org.uk.