Village Focus: Bury has properties dating back to the 17th Century
- Credit: ARCHANT
Bury lies approximately seven miles north/north east of Huntingdon and is close to Ramsey and St Ives. It has a population of 1,838.
Its history is tangled up with the once-powerful Ramsey Abbey and for a time was in the hands of the Cromwell family.
Shortly after this date, at all events before 1252, Bury, Wistow and Raveley had become separate manors. Bury and Hepmangrove, under the name of Bury cum Hepmangrove, appear to have been united for certain purposes before the dissolution of Ramsey.
Bury is now a single village where a number of half-timbered, thatched and tiled properties dating back to the 17th Century still survive.
Bury has another claim to fame in that the Great Britain Bandy Federation had a base there - it has nothing to do with being bow-legged and was, in fact, named after the ice-skating sport.
At the southern end of the village is Bury Hall, a brick house with a slate roof, built by Abraham Staffurth around 1860.
To the east of the village church is the rectory built by Lady Olivia Bernard Sparrow in 1845 and conveyed to the living in 1850. Opposite the church is the old Manor House of Bury, a late 16th-century half-timber building with tiled roof, which is now divided into two tenements.
- 1 Tributes for Godmanchester mum Lisa Leader who passed away on Friday
- 2 Young man dies on B645 near St Neots following a head-on crash
- 3 Businesswoman who launched popular St Ives shop has died
- 4 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 5 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge
- 6 Ex-wife of killer Colin Hill shares rape ordeal more than 30 years on
- 7 Overwhelming response to MND charity walk
- 8 The Real Pie Company has opened in Huntingdon
- 9 Auditor who fell ill on eve of farmgate report not returning to council
- 10 Health chiefs call for action amid rise in sexually transmitted infections
The land falls somewhat steeply here to the brook, known as High Lode; the former ancient stone bridge of one arch which crossed it was replaced in 1925 by the present wider bridge.
On the north side of the road is the old parish school built by Lady Olivia Bernard Sparrow in or about 1845 and handed over to the rector and churchwardens in 1878 by the Duke of Manchester. Further along the road towards Ramsey is a 17th-century timber-framed house with diagonal chimney shafts.
A little way down the road to Upwood is the Green Dragon, formerly a public house (now a private residence), behind which in a little field the church of Hepmangrove is said to have stood, but no remains of it exist above ground.
Further north along the road are the Britannia Iron Works, formerly the type foundry of Messrs. Hughes and Kimber but now disused.
Thanks go to the Bury Village website page at: www.buryvillage.co.uk.