Village chapel to hold exhibition to celebrate landmark anniversary
- Credit: Archant
Worshipers at Hilton Methodist Chapel are preparing to celebrate its 150th birthday next year and are charting the history of the building to mark the occasion.
The chapel will celebrate the milestone next April and members of the congregation want to hear from anyone who has attended services, been a Sunday school member, or was married or baptised there.
An exhibition charting the history of the chapel and the people who are part of its story is being put together in time for the anniversary celebrations.
Organisers are hoping to start with the names of people who gave money and time to see the chapel established and whose names are commemorated in stones that form part of the building.
The list of surnames on bricks includes: Breed, Carpenter, Cocking, Cooper, Coote, Eacott, Edwards, Elliott, Evison, Freshfield, Hall, Harwood, Hine, Hitch, Hodge, Hodson, Hutchinson, Jeeves, King, Medlock, Phillips, Stratton, See, Serjeant, Smith, Swiffen, Toliday, and Wrighton.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for the chapel said: “We would also like to hear from anyone who once lived in Hilton or the surrounding villages. Do they have any memories, for example, of a Sunday school outing or a wedding, that would give us an idea of life as it was then? It would be especially helpful if people could lend us any mementoes – perhaps a Sunday school prize or the programme of a concert.”
The exhibition will run from April 21-22, 2018.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 3 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 4 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 5 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 6 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 7 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 8 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 9 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 10 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
If you would like to share your memories, contact Rev Rachel Larkinson on 01223 312184, Malcolm Lynn on 01480 831629, or Linda Stott on 01480 830660.