VIDEO: Young Huntingdonshire saxophonist crowned the winner at Cambridge Buskers’ Festival
- Credit: Archant
A young saxophonist stormed to victory in a competition which saw him entertaining shoppers by busking on the streets of Cambridge.
Hinchingbrooke School pupil Robert Burton, 15, of Church Road, Easton, won the Under 16s Young Performer’s Prize at the Cambridge Buskers’ Festival.
Held from August 15-17, the contest involved musicians battling for the attention of the crowds during two one-hour slots at spots around the city, before gathering to perform for the judges.
Robert, who has been busking in Cambridge since he was 11, walked away with a Roland Micro Cube amplifier. He impressed passersby with his renditions of jazz standards and modern songs such as Someone Like You by Adele.
He said: “I started playing recorder at primary school and I just thought that I would like to start a new instrument.
You may also want to watch:
“When the opportunity came up I just really wanted to play saxophone. I do so many different things through it and make so many different friends and go to different places.”
A Grade 8 musician, Robert has also taken part in competitions including Rotary’s Young Musician, where he has reached the national semi-finals.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 3 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 4 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 5 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 6 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 7 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 8 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 9 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 10 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
In the future, he hopes to become a professional musician.
He said: “At the beginning I found busking quite scary but now I enjoy it more.
“Seeing people watching is really nice because you know that they haven’t just bought the tickets and have to listen to you.”