VIDEO & GALLERY: Tornadoes spotted over Huntingdonshire
- Credit: Archant
Two tornadoes have been spotted in Huntingdonshire this afternoon (Thursday).
Weather enthusiast Tony Wetherman, a lighting technician at Elstree Light and Power Ltd at Alconbury Weald, took pictures and video of two possible tornadoes at about 2.30pm.
The first was in the Brampton direction and the second was travelling near Sawtry.
The 34-year-old said: “A colleague came to tell me that there was a tornado. I didn’t believe it at first and thought he was pulling my leg. I got outside to see the end of a funnel cloud going back up. I didn’t see if it touched down or not.
“A couple of minutes later I saw two more forming, and one did form a funnel cloud but it went behind a row of trees so I couldn’t see if it touched down, but I think it did.”
It’s not the first time Mr Wetherman has spotted the phenomenon, which happens about 30 times a year in the UK, as a month ago he saw another tornado.
“We get much smaller tornadoes in the UK than in America which are more deadly as we don’t have the right climate for it,” Mr Wetherman added.
- 1 Pictures show dramatic skies over Huntingdonshire and the Fens
- 2 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 3 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 4 White roses and political history in Huntingdonshire
- 5 Huntingdon thief jailed after stealing watch, iPod and iPhone from vehicles
- 6 RSPCA investigating 'welfare of beagles' at Huntingdon dog breeding unit
- 7 80th birthday celebrations for the East's longest-serving lollipop lady
- 8 Beer from Lidl and vegan chocolates among items recalled over safety fears
- 9 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 10 East West Rail host public event to discuss controversial project
A spokesman for the Met Office said the meteorological conditions around Alconbury this afternoon were right for funnel clouds to develop.
He added that a funnel cloud is classed as a tornado when it touches the ground.
Click on the link above right to see all of the pictures of the tornadoes.
• Did you see the tornado? Email firstname.lastname@example.org with sightings, pictures and videos.
WARNING: Video contains strong language that some may find offensive.