VIDEO: Car torched in St Ives by arsonist
- Credit: Archant
Arsonists set fire to a car in St Ives last night (Monday).
Firefighters from St Ives were sent to Green Leys after receiving reports of a car on fire at 10.47pm.
Investigators believe the fire was started deliberately.
Claire Hudson, landlord at the Three Horseshoes in Houghton, said: “My partner and I were on the way home from the centre of St Ives when we saw the shutters coming up at the fire station so we thought it was going somewhere.
“Then we turned into Green Leys and came across the car on fire. It was just opposite Westfield School. It’s not something you expect when you come back from having a cup of tea at the Taproom.
You may also want to watch:
“It was weird because there was no-one else was around. I was going to call 999 but the fire engine pulled up as I was about to.
“There was a loud bang as something in the car exploded so we couldn’t get close to it but it looks as if there was something trailing away from it.”
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 5 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 6 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 7 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 8 Drink driver arrested in Brampton for being four times over the legal limit
- 9 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
- 10 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
A Cambridgeshire police spokesman said: “We were called at 10.50pm to a vehicle on fire on land between 20 and 22 Green Leys.
“We’re investigating as an arson - no arrests have been made at this time.”INFORMATION: Anyone with information should contact Cambridgeshire police on 101 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111.