An inquest has been opened and adjourned into the death of a man who died in a house fire in St Neots on June 14.

The man, from Hen Brook who was known as Eddie to his neighbours, has been named as 66-year-old Edmund Baldwin. Initial findings suggest the cause of death was from smoke inhalation and carbon monoxide poisoning.

The fire started just after 5.30am in a downstairs cupboard and is thought to have been the result of an electrical problem. Neighbours alerted the fire service after hearing a drilling sound and a loud bang.

Firefighters, using thermal imaging equipment, discovered Mr Baldwin laying downstairs near the back door. He was taken outside the property and despite attempts to revive him he was pronounced dead at the scene.

A fire service spokesman said: "A fire investigation determined the cause of the fire to be accidental, by electrical."

A full inquest into Mr Baldwin's death will be held at a later date.